quoth the Tim Garton:

Hi Tim,

> I run spamassassin with exim, so can't offer all that much help, but
> as for attempt 1 you may try running:
> spamc -R < {some file containing full source of a sample email}
>
> to make sure spamassassin is running correctly.  It should spit back a
> score and a possibly a list of tests failed, depending on how
> spamassassin is configured.  if you don't get this, or get a score
> like "0/0", something is wrong with your spamassassin setup.

Thanks for this. 'spamc -R < testmail' was failing (hanging forever)
while 'spamassassin < testmail' was working fine. This led me to run the
spamc command within strace, which showed the command blocked during
a 'connect' call to 127.0.0.7. Would you believe it was a firewall issue? I
forgot to allow conections to localhost in my iptables script.

> Also, you don't want the "-P" option anymore, it is deprecated and is
> the default behaviour of spamassassin now.  And you definitely don't
> want it with spamc, since it is an invalid option.  And yes, you do
> want to use "spamc" over "spamassassin" for performance reasons.

Thanks for the explanation.

After confirming spamc now works I played around some more. It seems my
~/.qmail file was overriding the system-wide spam check in 'defaultdelivery'.

I changed ~/.qmail from:

|/var/qmail/bin/preline -f /usr/libexec/dovecot/deliver

to:

|spamc |/var/qmail/bin/preline -f /usr/libexec/dovecot/deliver

...and everything seems to be cherry now. All incoming mail now has X-Spam
headers added.

-d