Hi Matt

Matt Harrison wrote on 23/04/08 07:05:
I've been running a gentoo system as my fileserver without problems for a while. Its using software raid (1+0) with lvm on top, and its been a dream until now.

The other day I did an emerge world and had a message about an sqlite ebuild missing from the repository. Well I had other things to do so I thought I'd leave that for now (sqlite isn't critical).

Now after a reboot I can't mount my LVM partitions, my raid is working fine, but nothing I can do will discover my lvm partitions or volumes. If i try to manually start the lvm service, I get the message about it being written for baselayout-2 and not being suitable for baselayout-1.

I've managed to find some info about the OpenRC and baselayout-2 change, however nothing seems to apply to my situation, and I certainly never meant to do an upgrade that would make such a serious change.

Is there some way I can recover my system without having to re-install? I've got a lot of data that I would cry if i lost, although I think the data is ok...I'm just really confused about this baselayout-2 change.

Because all my partitions (except root and boot) are on LVM, I can't get to see if i accidentally installed something wrong, and I can't even try to re-emerge lvm etc.

Any tips would be greately appreciated.

Add lvm to your boot run level for baselayout-2:

rc-update add lvm boot

Cheers, Dave