Alan McKinnon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> On Friday 25 April 2008, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>> So, I'm thinking it probably won't do any real good to monkey around
>> with the kernel either, if the initramfs thing isn't the problem them
>> it seems likely to be a vista problem.
>
> The kernel is exactly where you should be monkeying. I reckon you have a
> driver you need compiled in and it's a module because of the make
> allconfig.

My goal here was to get unix/linux onto a vmware running on a vista
laptop.

I decided to try an Ubantu install after several failures with
gentoo.  Ubantu installed and fired right up...  I guess I'll have to get
used to Ubantu now, at least on this vista vmware guest.

I wanted text console but that appears somewhat complicated to achieve
in an Ubantu install... probably some way to do it but I'm just going
to go with defaults and use the tools I need from a commandline.

I'll be visting the ubantu lists some... I suppose.