On Sat, Apr 26, 2008 at 1:54 PM, Stroller
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>  On 26 Apr 2008, at 19:57, Mark Knecht wrote:

> > I don't buy that it's my issue created by a long time between updates.
> > I could turn on any machine that's sitting in a junk heap or back room
> > somewhere. It hasn't been powered up in a long time. I log in and want
> > to figure out what's in front of me with respect to updates. I type
> > emerge sync and portage deletes files. to me that's just wrong.
> >
> > As I say, I can get around the problem by simply copying absolutely
> > everything somewhere else to protect it. It just seems to me that's
> > not as slick as Gentoo really is. (And I think you know I LOVE this
> > distribution and have no desire to run anything else ...
> >

>  To be completely fair, one has to compare this with the situation in which
> one digs out of the storeroom an old PC on which a binary distro has been
> installed. I have read Ubuntu users complaining that the easiest thing to do
> is backup /home and appropriate /etc files and then reinstall from scratch.

Ans it's actually what I ended up doing. When I considered that emerge
was going to rebuild everything anyway it seemed that for an hour's
work going through the quick install guide I might get lucky and only
have to rebuild a few packages from the 2008 beta CD so I went that
way. Fdisk'ed the drive, did a new install, set off emerge -DuN system
and walked away.

However if I had Alan's wrapper maybe I would have saved the hour's
work. Don't know.

Thanks!

- Mark