Iain Buchanan wrote:
Hi all,

I have two 2.5in HD's, one 60Gb with a heap of bad sectors currently
used in external Hd enclosure, and one 100Gb which seems in good
condition, currently in my laptop.

I'm upgrading my laptop, and I'd like to turn the old one into a myth
frontend or something similar, so I want to put the 60Gb in it.  I will
then use the 100Gb in my external enclosure for travelling, backups,
etc.

The reason the 60Gb has bad sectors (I think) is because I dropped it
(in it's enclosure). This was quite some time ago, and it doesn't seem
to be dying any further, but I haven't done any comparisons on the bad
sector count.  I use nearly 100% of the space available, and regularly
compare cksums, so if anything was deteriorating, I would know.

The question is: should I use it at all (for any use, external HD or
internal with operating system), or is it sufficient to let the fsck
tool mark the bad sectors and just keep using it?

Is there a way to monitor it's "health" in the external enclosure until
I get my new laptop?  Is counting the bad sectors enough?

thanks heaps!
this day in age, space is sooo cheap. atleast in the US. 60 gigs is weak. get a new drive.