On Tue, 6 May 2008, »Q« wrote:

When I try to boot, the word GRUB gets written to the screen
over and over and over, filling the screen.  Pressing keys,
AFAICT so far, doesn't stop this.  The screen is just filled
with "GRUB", and I think it's an ongoing thing because of a
little flicker at the bottom right.

<quote href="http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/grub-error-guide.xml#doc_chap7";>
7.  GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB ...

Situation

Code Listing 7.1: Grub Output

GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB
GRUB GRUB
  GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB
  GRUB GRUB GRUB

Solution

According to airhead this can be caused by having your bios
detect your disks automatically. Try to set your bios entry to
User Type HDD.

Another possibility is that you had Grub installed on your MBR
and tried reinstalling it (for instance due to hard disk changes)
but used the wrong setup and root commands.
</quote>

--
Ian Hilt
ian.hilt (at) gmail.com