Am Mittwoch, 7. Mai 2008 schrieb ext Neil Bothwick:
> On Wed, 7 May 2008 09:57:02 +0200, Dirk Heinrichs wrote:
> > > rsync is good, but has its own disadvantages, notably the lack of
> > > compression and the reliance on the destination filesystem to
> > > preserve permissions.
> >
> > Can you elaborate more on the latter, please? What exactly is rsync
> > relying on and which fs wouldn't meet the requirements.
>
> FAT on an external drive, or some of the online backup systems.

Yeah, FAT was the only one I could imagine, just wanted to be sure. So
nothing to worry about ;-) It would never come to my mind to backup a
_UNIX_ fs to a _DOS_, ahem, fs.

http://fuse.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/CompressedFileSystems

> Don't get me wrong, I like rsync and use it a lot, but, like anything
> else, it has its limitations.

The first one can be solved with fuse, the second one is a not an issue (at
least for me).

Bye...

        Dirk
--
Dirk Heinrichs          | Tel:  +49 (0)162 234 3408
Configuration Manager   | Fax:  +49 (0)211 47068 111