I've done a new install this evening. The install went OK as far as I
could tell. I didn't wipe the disk but I did make new file systems
using mke2fs for both /dev/hda5 and /dev/hda7. I then installed NT in
/dev/hda0 and finally did Gentoo. The grub-0.97-r5 install seemed to
go OK, however when I boot I jsut get some grub messages (Stage 1,
Stage 1.5) and then just

grub >

where the machine sits. Grub auto-completion is working so I type

root (hd0,4)
kernel /boot/bzImage-2.6.24-gentoo-r7 root=/dev/hda7

and then

boot

and at this point the machine boots fine. (Well, except for networking
but I'll deal with that later.

I know that grub-0.97-r5 has caused some folks problems over the last
couple of days. The hard drive in this machine was used in a previous
dual boot machine so maybe I'm getting burned by the same 0.97-r5
things?

What would cause grub to sit there and wait for me to type in the
stuff that's in grub.conf anyway?

Thanks,
Mark