If you want open source antivirus, you can only use ClamAV.
Anyway there are a number of free or commercial antivirus solutions for
Linux. (I don't know if any of these supports Thunderbird).

http://www.linux.com/articles/22899

This is a good article about antivirus solutions. You can use ClamAV along
with Sylpheed(Claws) because it has integration for it.

Bye, Gyuszk