On Mon, 2008-05-05 at 19:57 -0500, Tim wrote:
> paul wrote:
> > I am sure that this is all explained somewhere but I cannot find it
> > easily.
> >
> > When running "emerge -av gnome-light" I get :
> > [blocks B     ] <gnome-base/control-center-2.22 (is blocking
> > gnome-base/gnome-settings-daemon-2.22.1)
> > [blocks B     ] dev-util/gtk-doc-am (is blocking
> > dev-util/gtk-doc-1.8-r2)
> >

> > I am not asking anyone to wade through my make.conf and various portage
> > files but if someone who knows the system obviously better than I do
> > could please point me in the direction of how to fix this issue I would
> > be grateful.
> >
> > My requirements are "install gnome-light 2.22.0 or later".
> >

> > Thanks
> >
> > Paul
> Paul,
>
> What this means is that you have some software installed on your system
> already that prevents you from getting gnome-light. In this case, it
> looks like you have the two packages gtk-doc-am and control-center,
> which are preventing gnome-settings daemon and gtk-doc, respectively,
> from being installed.
>
> The usual way of fixing this problem is to do an emerge -avC on the
> packages that are blocking to remove them and allow your gnome-light
> installation to proceed. However, remember that some other packages
> currently installed on your system may depend on these packages, so you
> may not want to go into this blindly. I'm not an expert on the setup of
> gnome dependencies, so I can't recommend this course of action
> unreservedly; it's just a thought.
>
> In the future, you'll get better (and likely more courteous) responses
> if you start your own thread, rather than taking over someone else's.
> You would also do well to look through the Gentoo Handbook - there's a
> wonderful section at
>
> http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=2&chap=1
>
> that talks at length about blocked packages and what to do to resolve
> your issues.
>
> -Tim

Thanks Tim

I have now fixed the problem. My confusion was caused by the fact that
when I tried "emerge --unmerge gtk-doc-am" I was told that gtk-doc-am
was not installed. It turns out that gtk-doc was installed and so
running the command "emerge -avC gtk-doc" as you suggested did the job.

I have raised bug 221195 to help clarify the situation.

--
Transplants Save Lives - http://www.uktransplant.org.uk/

(   _   )             \ \    [EMAIL PROTECTED]