Stroller <stroller <at> stellar.eclipse.co.uk> writes:

> On 15 May 2008, at 19:20, James wrote:
> > I have a FreeAgent(Seagate) usb drive, that shows up as /medea/sdb1
> > in Konqueror. I can go thru it via Konqueror and see all of the files
> > (dll .exe, docs etc) but I cannot cd into the directories and sub
> > directories and see any files.
>
> What does `ls -ld /media/sdb1` say?

Now the drive shows up as sdc1. When I plug it in
Konqueror pops up showing the drive's contents:
system:/media/sdc1

> How about `ls -l /media/sdb1` and `ls -ld /media/sdb1/path/to/dir/you/
> cannot/cd/into`?

ls -ld /media/sdc1
ls: cannot access /media/sdc1: No such file or directory

but it does show up as 'FreeAgent Drive'

ls /media/
FreeAgent Drive  sdb1  sdb12  sdb5  sdb7  sdb8  sdb9  sdc  sdc3  sdd  sdd1

This seems to indicate that the names used by Konqueror and udev
are not consistent. I can go through Konqueror and read the file,
but the edits do not  work via Konqueror or with vi going thru
the dir tree to access the file.

dr-x------  1 james root 4096 Oct 13  2007 FreeAgent Drive

 # chmod 777 FreeAgent\ Drive/
chmod: changing permissions of `FreeAgent Drive/': Read-only file system

> If you're unable to run these commands, are you able to do so as
> root, using `su` or `sudo`?

I tried everything as root.  I have support for the necessary file
systems in the kernel. However, I do think my problem is the
kernel options....

James