[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

>> 'xpm' is a graphics format ( X Pix Map, IIRC) so that may be a problem.
>> There is also a USE flag for Xface as well.
>>
>> Try adding '-xpm -xface' to your USE flags.
>
> Well I can report that it wasn't the xpm flag.  I haven't tried with
> -xface yet but wouldn't the output above have shown `xface' as one of
> the USE flags if it was in fact being invoked?

And I can now report that it WAS `-xface' or so it would seem since
running `emerge -v -xpm -xface' has completed without error.

Thanks... but this brings a question to my mind and makes me think I've
been misunderstanding the output one sees with `emerge -vp whatever'

I've been using that to see what USE flags would be in play.  Is that
a wrong notion?  Because `xface' was NOT a flag that showed up on my
trial run with `emerge -vp emacs-cvs'.