On Wednesday 21 May 2008, Mark Knecht wrote:

> I think this answer would be good to have on a Gentoo grub Wiki
> somewhere. (If it isn't already.) There have been times I've wondered
> the same thing and didn't know how to extract the data out fo the MBR
> the way you did. It would also be good to add a second example of how
> to get it out of a partition instead of the MBR in case grub is
> installed there.

I skipped over most of this thread, I now wished I hadn't :-) Not having
the previous posts handy, this might already have been answered, but
I'll go ahead anyway. The way I normally do the extraction is very
simple:

from mbr:
dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/pts/0 bs=512 count=1

from disk partition:
dd if=/dev/sda1 of=/dev/pts/0 bs=512 count=1

Change the of= appropriately, of course

--
Alan McKinnon
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com