I remember reading that much of the CDrom et al support now uses
the scsi subsystem, but have not remembered enough.
I would appreciate answers to the following specific questions.

I have a dell insprion 6400 laptop.  Using lshw I find that the ide
interface contains

ATA disk  Hitachi HTS72101  /dev/sda  bus info: [EMAIL PROTECTED]:0.0.0
  * Am I correct in believing that I should configure SCSI disk support?
  * Does it also require ATA/atapi support?

DVD writer DVD+-RW TS-L632D /dev/cdrom1 /dev/dvd1 /dev/scd0 /dev/sr0
           bus info: [EMAIL PROTECTED]:0.0.0
  * Am I correct in believing that I need scsi CDROM and scsi GENERIC?
  * Are any other kernel options needed to support the dvd and writing?
  * Do I need atapi support?

lshw confirms that I have no scsi controller
  * Am I correct in believing that I need no scsi low level driver?

lshw confirms that I have an intel 82801G (ICH7)
  * Am I correct in believing that I need CONFIG_ATA_PIIX?

Thanks in advance for the help,
allan