On Fri, 23 May 2008 16:12:16 -0400 (EDT)
"James" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > Hi list!
> >
> > I'm thinking about buying a BlueRay- and HD-DVD-combo reader.
> > Can I use GNU/Linux standard software (mplayer preferred) to watch
> > HD-movies or does its copy protection stop me from using it? If so,
> > are there any workarounds?
> >
> > Thanks in advance!
> >
> > Florian Philipp
> >
> I think you have to run software to decrypt the DVD on the fly and
> then have mplayer read the stream.
> The decryption keys to older bluray titles are available but newer
> ones might need to be decrypted (rip the movie to your harddrive).
> It is definitely not easy right now but a lot of titles are being
> cracked everyday.
> I would avoid bluray until it gets easier to play.

Hmm, on which features depends the encryption? Would a Windows Media
Player in Wine be able to play it or do I need an operating system
supporting it, maybe in a virtual machine? Has anyone tried?

> Why would you buy an HD-DVD reader?
> That format is dead and there won't be any new titles.

It's meant for my dad. He's a big Star Trek fan and afaik the new
remastered Star Trek Original Series is HD-DVD-only. The price
difference isn't that big, either.