I can't figure out why "emerge --search" can't find a local
ebuild, but "emerge -av" can:

   # emerge --search sys-apps/ack
   Searching...
   [ Results for search key : sys-apps/ack ]
   [ Applications found : 0 ]

   # emerge -av sys-apps/ack

   Calculating dependencies... done!
   [ebuild  N    ] dev-perl/File-Next-1.02  0 kB
   [ebuild  N    ] sys-apps/ack-1.82  0 kB [1]

   Total: 2 packages (2 new), Size of downloads: 0 kB
   Portage tree and overlays:
    [0] /usr/portage
    [1] /usr/local/portage

   Would you like to merge these packages? [Yes/No] No

   Quitting.

Even after the package has been installed via "emerge -av" it
still can't be found by "emerge --search" even though "equery
list" finds it just fine:

   # equery list sys-apps/ack
   [ Searching for package 'ack' in 'sys-apps' among: ]
    * installed packages
   [I--] [ ~] sys-apps/ack-1.82 (0)

It's not a big deal, but it's more than a bit counter-intuitive.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow! UH-OH!!  We're out
                                  at               of AUTOMOBILE PARTS and