2008/5/29 Peter Humphrey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> I have no problem chrooting into a system on the hard disk if I've booted
> from an installation CD, but every time I try it after booting from another
> HD partition I get e.g. this:
>
> # chroot /mnt/rescue /bin/bash
> chroot: cannot run command `/bin/bash': Permission denied

Are you using SELinux or anything similar? If so (or you aren't sure),
what do the following commands (as root) say:

id -Z
ls -alZR /mnt/rescue

If not then try strace'ing the chroot call, like so:

strace -etrace=chroot,chdir,execve chroot /mnt/rescue /bin/bash

That will show whether it is the chroot call itself that is failing or
the attempt to run bash afterwards.

Cheers,
Duane.

--
"I never could learn to drink that blood and call it wine" - Bob Dylan