On Sat, May 31, 2008 at 10:49 PM, Daniel Pielmeier <
[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Kevin O'Gorman schrieb:
>
>  On Sat, May 31, 2008 at 12:38 PM, Neil Bothwick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>  On Sat, 31 May 2008 07:05:14 -0700, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
>>>
>>>  Just to be sure, I re-ran locale-gen just now.  It reported two
>>>>
>>> Then remove it from /etc/locale.gen. you can remove the Spanish and
>>> French ones too, if you don't use those languages.
>>>
>>> I did, just as an experiment.  It made no difference to the main issue:
>>> no
>>>
>> locale is defined
>> for programs started from KDE menus, and K3B is complaining about the
>> resulting
>> ASCII (1968) definition.
>>
>> I'd rather that the locale-gen worked, but that's a side issue.
>>

> Do you have something like LINGUAS="en" in /etc/make.conf?

Yes, it reads

 LINGUAS="en fr de es pl"

Because while I don't ordinarily use other languages, I have in the past had
to edit
some i18n files for a web page of mine.  See
http://hex.kosmanor.com/hex-bin/board,
which currently speaks English, Polish and Dutch.

> You can try to use the unicode charset [1] in /etc/env.d/02locale, maybe
> k3b wants this.
>
> LANG=en_US.utf8
> LC_ALL="en_US.utf8"
>

> I also suggest going through the guide again and read thoroughly, often
> there is only a tiny mistake a typo or something which makes things fail.
>
> Can you tell us the output of:
>
> locale
> locale -a
> cat /etc/locale.gen

Of course.  Included at the bottom.

> [1] http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/utf-8.xml
>
> Veeery Interesting....

I didn't notice it at first, but the 02locale as suggested is making my Perl
scripts issue warnings,
including some very simple ones I wrote myself, so it's Perl itself that is
complaining.

perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
        LANGUAGE = (unset),
        LC_ALL = "en_EN",
        LANG = "en_EN"

Anyway, I added .utf8 to the lines in my 02locale file, and it made no
difference at all.
I don't see utf8 in any of the outputs, and k3b and perl still don't like
it.

The outputs requested (plus my 02locale file) were:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~ $ locale
locale: Cannot set LC_CTYPE to default locale: No such file or directory
locale: Cannot set LC_MESSAGES to default locale: No such file or directory
locale: Cannot set LC_ALL to default locale: No such file or directory
LANG=en_EN
LC_CTYPE="en_EN"
LC_NUMERIC="en_EN"
LC_TIME="en_EN"
LC_COLLATE="en_EN"
LC_MONETARY="en_EN"
LC_MESSAGES="en_EN"
LC_PAPER="en_EN"
LC_NAME="en_EN"
LC_ADDRESS="en_EN"
LC_TELEPHONE="en_EN"
LC_MEASUREMENT="en_EN"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_EN"
LC_ALL=en_EN
[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~ $ locale -a
locale: Cannot set LC_CTYPE to default locale: No such file or directory
locale: Cannot set LC_MESSAGES to default locale: No such file or directory
locale: Cannot set LC_COLLATE to default locale: No such file or directory
POSIX
en_US
en_US.utf8
es_MX
fr_FR
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~ $ cat /etc/locale.gen
# /etc/locale.gen: list all of the locales you want to have on your system
#
# The format of each line:
# <locale> <charmap>
#
# Where <locale> is a locale located in /usr/share/i18n/locales/ and
# where <charmap> is a charmap located in /usr/share/i18n/charmaps/.
#
# All blank lines and lines starting with # are ignored.
#
# For the default list of supported combinations, see the file:
# /usr/share/i18n/SUPPORTED
#
# Whenever glibc is emerged, the locales listed here will be automatically
# rebuilt for you.  After updating this file, you can simply run
`locale-gen`
# yourself instead of re-emerging glibc.

en_US ISO-8859-1
en_US.UTF-8 UTF-8
#ja_JP.EUC-JP EUC-JP
#ja_JP.UTF-8 UTF-8
#ja_JP EUC-JP
#en_HK ISO-8859-1
#en_PH ISO-8859-1
#de_DE ISO-8859-1
[EMAIL PROTECTED] ISO-8859-15
es_MX ISO-8859-1
#fa_IR UTF-8
fr_FR ISO-8859-1
[EMAIL PROTECTED] ISO-8859-15
#it_IT ISO-8859-1
#pl_PL ISO-8859-15

[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~ $ cat /etc/env.d/02locale
LANG=en_US.utf8
LC_ALL=en_us.utf8
[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~ $

--