On Sun, Jun 1, 2008 at 6:45 PM, b.n. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Kevin O'Gorman ha scritto:
>
>> TOP POSTED SUMMARY: operator error.  An incorrect setting of LANG and
>> LC_ALL were in /etc/profile.
>> They had been suggested by the guide, but were incorrectly done and
>> override the results of all the
>> 02locale and locale.gen things.
>>
>> Now one X restart later, k3b and perl and I are all happy.
>>
>> Thanks for suggesting a re-reading, Daniel.
>>

> Could you please provide the solution? I have the same problem and the
> thread is all but clear to me.
>

> In my case, the solution was to remove the (incorrect) LANG and LC_ALL
assignments I had edited into
/etc/profile.  The 02locale and locale.gen files did the job correctly.

I tracked this down by putting a lot of debugging stuff in the various shell
startup files.  They looked like this:
[ -e /etc/conf.d/D ] && echo This is /etc/profile\; LANG is $LANG\; LC_ALL
is $LC_ALL
[ -e /etc/conf.d/D ] && echo End of /etc/profile\; LANG is $LANG\; LC_ALL is
$LC_ALL

And I can switch them on and off by creating/rm-ing /etc/conf.d/D.  This
showed me where the variables
were getting values, and what the values were.  By the time I was done, I
had them in
~/.bashrc
~/.mybashrc (you may or may not have this file)
~/.bash_profile
/etc/profile
/etc/bash/bashrc

They are still there, but inactive since I have deleted /etc/conf.d/D (a
file of my own creation).  If you don't use
bash, you'll have to design your own variant of this approach.

++ kevin

--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD