I recently had occasion to need a floppy drive. Thankfully, there was
one in my Gentoo box, but no support in the kernel. I added
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEFLOPPY=y to .config and already had support for my IDE
chipset included, rebuilt my kernel, and rebooted.

Now I have a folder /dev/fd/, but every entry there (0, 1, 2, and 255)
are all symlinks to /dev/pts/0. Relevant command outputs:

# dmesg|grep -i floppy
ide-floppy driver 0.99.newide

# uname -r
2.6.22-gentoo-r2

# cd /dev/fd; ls -al
total 0
dr-x------ 2 root root  0 Jun  3 02:32 .
dr-xr-xr-x 5 root root  0 Jun  3 02:32 ..
lrwx------ 1 root root 64 Jun  3 02:32 0 -> /dev/pts/0
lrwx------ 1 root root 64 Jun  3 02:32 1 -> /dev/pts/0
lrwx------ 1 root root 64 Jun  3 02:32 2 -> /dev/pts/0
lrwx------ 1 root root 64 Jun  3 02:32 255 -> /dev/pts/0

# ls -al /dev/fd
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 13 Jun  2 20:35 /dev/fd -> /proc/self/fd

What do I need to do to get usable block access to my floppy from
something in /dev/fd?

-Tim