On Sat, 7 Jun 2008 17:16:28 +0200, Enrico Weigelt wrote:

> I guess there's some non-trivial translation process needed.
> First I have to cut-off the Gentoo's internal patchlevel
> (aka. same upstream release, but updated ebuild),

Try atom, from portage-utils, then use cut or awk to select the third
item of output.

> then map
> the upstream's versioning schemes to my normalized one.
> *If* Gentoo strictly follows the upstream's versioning scheme
> and only adds some -r* for ebuild revisions, then the first step
> should be easy,

Gentoo follows upstream as closely as possible, but not when their
versioning breaks the Gentoo rules. For example, dovecot-1.1.rc8 becomes
dovecot-1.1_rc8.

--
Neil Bothwick

Every morning is the dawn of a new error...