Matt Harrison wrote:
On Sun, Jun 15, 2008 at 08:50:58PM +0530, Ashish Shukla ????????????
??????????????? wrote:
,--- Peter Wood writes:
| Hi all,
| I have a kernel generated with genkernel and do need the initramfs
| because I am using lvm and  luks. Now I am trying to create a second
| entry in grub.conf that lets me boot into single user mode in an
| emergency.
| Of course, adding 1 or single on the kernel line does not work
| together with an initrd.
| I followed the advise in the gentoo wiki on booting into single user
| mode and added:
| real_init 1
| to the kernel line in grub.conf.
| This however lets my kernel panic on boot.
| Error: switch_root Bad init '1'
| Attempt to kill init. Kernel Panic
| I tried sustituting real_init 1 with real_init single and real_init
| S1, but get the same result.
| Does anyone now what I am doing wrong?

How about adding 'init=/bin/bb' to kernel line.

I find that softlevel=single works for me

Hi,

Thanks for both replies.

The thing that bugs me about the softlevel option is that the computer
apparently enters into the default runlevel first before switching to
single. If I do not want to have any of the services running, why would
I have to start and stop them all (which might take quite a bit of time
considering a computer that is set up for networking via dhcp, but
booting up in an environment where there is no network connection.

Is the real_init option on the kernel line no longer working?

I guess I'll go with the busybox solution.

Best,

Peter