On 27 Jun 2008, at 17:08, Brian Johnson wrote:
This doesn't mean that ffmpeg is slotted. It means that the version of VLC you're trying to merge depends on an OLDER version of ffmpeg. VLC has some major issues with later versions of ffmpeg that are being handled rather poorly upstream. So unfortunately, if you want to use a stable VLC (0.8.x) you have to use a rather old ffmpeg. Nothing can be done to correct this. If you want a newer ffmpeg, try moving to a masked version of VLC or find a 0.9.x version in an overlay.

Any attempt at making VLC 0.8.x work with newer versions of ffmpeg will result in video playback with audio only (no video).

Thanks for the explanation. I'll wait until 0.9 goes stable.

When originally running `emerge -pv world` I *did* get an emerge message about slotting, and it did appear to be trying to emerge BOTH versions of ffmpeg, but I'm afraid I can't reproduce this now. I guess I could do so by grabbing the media-video/vlc-0.8.6f ebuild from Portage's attic putting it in local, but I can't be arsed. You'll just have to trust me when I say I don't know the exact message.

Thanks for trying,

Stroller.