Hello,

I need to deploy a (gentoo) server, on an isolated, remote network, with
just a few custom applications. However, to periodically
update the gentoo distro, I want to build a second (congruent)
system, that can be physically swapped for update, or in the
event of failure (brain-dead, I know but for now, that's a
hard constraint).

So I have system with identical mother boards, cpus and the same amount
of ram. The size of the drives differs, but, that should not be a problem.

Where to start?
The both have the same profile:
[9]   default/linux/x86/2008.0 *

The both have the same kernel/options:
2.6.24-gentoo-r8

The world files are different. One is mimimal and very close
to what I want, the other needs many packages removed.

Likewise the one system has a minimal make.conf file, which
I like, the other is quite bloated over the years.

So before I go any further, should I just set about pruning the
bloated system down to match the minimal system, or go for a new install.

Also what else would I check and modify to ensure the systems are
as close to congruent as possbile?

rc-status?

installed packages?

file by file in /etc?

Any tools or suggestions to help in this effort are much welcome.

Should I just "dd" one (minmalistic) drive contents to the
other?

any discussion or ideas are most welcome.

James