Mark Knecht wrote:

Hi Paul,
   Yes, ls -al shown nothing is there.

   Actually, I think the root cause of this is a little different than
I expected. /tmp/jack is actually something that's mounted:

lightning ~ # df
<SNIP>
none                    508016         0    508016   0% /tmp/jack

and the root cause of that is that it's in my fstab file:

lightning ~ # cat /etc/fstab | grep jack
none                    /tmp/jack       tmpfs           defaults        0 0
lightning ~ #

   So, there are three directions to go:

1) Remove it from fstab and figure out what the repercussions of that
action might be.

Well, it's a tmpfs, so it gets wiped on shutdown anyway. Anything that needs the /tmp/jack directory will write to there whether a tmpfs is mounted or not, so removing the fstab line wont have any consequences by itself. If /tmp/jack gets removed by a boot script, and is actually needed, the directory will most likely be recreated by whatever program needs it. If not, you can always "mkdir /tmp/jack" long enough to fix the program in question.

2) Understand why the Gentoo boot process want to wipe mounted
directories in /tmp since it won't work.

I suspect the gentoo script is something simple like "if WIPE_TMP=YES, then rm /tmp/*".

FHS recommends nothing in /tmp survive boot.
http://www.pathname.com/fhs/2.2/fhs-3.15.html
It's bad practice to have a persistent mount point inside of /tmp or /var/tmp. If your /tmp is a tmpfs of some kind, then the above fstab entry is redundant anyway.

The main (possible) problem is some program requires a directory/file to exist in /tmp, but doesn't create that directory/file itself. Thats just a plain stupid (programming) practice, so I doubt you'll run into any issues with removing the fstab entry, and so on.

   I'm going to investigate #1 first as this is something that I think
is left over from years ago, but maybe you or someone else has another
idea.

Thanks,
Mark

PaulNM