On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 07:11:05PM +0200, Penguin Lover Alan McKinnon squawked:
> On Sunday 13 July 2008, Mick wrote:
> > Anyway, as others asked - how long is too long for this purpose?
>
> for obvious reasons, anything longer than 80 characters

Just to be pedantic:

Remember that the mailing list prepends the list name, so I think it
ought to be

80 - strlen("[gentoo-user] ") = 66 chars.

And if you care about most console mail readers, take mutt for
example, the default install definitely does not use more than half of
the 80 chars screen width for displaying the subject line. So now you
are down to 40 - 14 = 26.

Oh wait, your question may incite a big discussion with 6 levels of