I have a gentoo install (currently amd64/2007.0) with all of the current
up to date packages. I have been trying to upgrade the kernel for quite
a while now. The last kernel I can still seem to get running is
2.6.20-gentoo-r8. I've tried upgrading to every kernel as they have
entered into portage, and none since 2.6.20-r8 seems to be able to find
the Vmware "SCSI" disk.

The most recent try was gentoo-sources-2.6.25-r6, which failed the same
way. I've tried to download a 2008.0 current boot CD; that has the same
problem. I've also tried SystemRescueCd, which does the same, but since
it was based on gentoo, I wasn't too hopeful of it working.

With 2.6.20-gentoo-r8 I am using the Fusion MPT device support and it
works with no issues. I've tried using the drivers compiled in as well
as modules, both with the same disappointing results. Any suggestions?

The actual device detected with the older kernel is:

scsi0 : ioc0: LSI53C1030, FwRev=00000000h, Ports=1, MaxQ=128, IRQ=17

According to the kernel help, this should be supported by the MPT
ScsiHost driver for SPI, which is selected...
--
  Matthew Daubenspeck
  http://oddprocess.org

Gentoo Linux x86_64 Dual Core AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 165
10:51:06 up 247 days, 1:38, 4 users, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00