Tightvnc installed with server flag and seems to be working, at least
as far as viewing from gentoo through servers running on windows
machines. But when tried the other way round I get no connecton and no
log output from the gentoo server.

Just a message on the windows machine
   `Failed to connect to Xxx.xxx.xxx'.

There is some log info on the windows side bit it appears to only
involve the server and nothing gets written to that file when I
attempt to start the viewer on a windows xp box aimed at the linux
box.

The words `verbose' or `debug' do not appear anywhere in vncserver man
pages.  How can I get some debug info out of this thing?

Or maybe someone knows what is needed to get the connection to work.