Stroller wrote:

On 14 Jul 2008, at 13:06, CJoeB wrote:

Eric Martin wrote:
Before I recreated the wheel, does anybody know of any good library management software (preferably in portage)? My wife and I are having a hard time keeping track of what books we have, and what books we are lending out to people so I figured this would be a good way to keep track. Since it's for personal use it doesn't have to be anything big. Preferably backended by MySQL as I already have a server running for MythTV and Amarok.

I did a few eix searches for portage and came up empty handed, and sourceforge.net has a ton of stuff but I was wondering what other people use.

Have you heard of Tellico. It's a collection manager that can be used for books, music, video ... whatever. It allows you to enter the name of the book, a graphic if you have one, rate the book and indicate whether or not it's a gift, how much you paid for it and if you have lent it out. It *is* in Portage.

Some information:

http://periapsis.org/tellico/

The screenshots of this look really nice, however to me this seems like a really odd motivation for writing a program:

  I started developing it when I couldn't find a personal database
  program for KDE which didn't using a SQL backend.

What's wrong with an SQL backend that needs you to re-invent the wheel? I'm not saying there's a better collection manager out there, or that the author's in the wrong for doing it the way he has. But it just seems a little odd, and I'd love for him to explain his reasons more fully.

Stroller.

Agreed. Before I found anything that totally suited my needs I was going to go LAMP all the way. Why reinvent the wheel is one of the greatest questions of all.

--
Eric Martin
PGP fingerprint = D1C4 086E DBB5 C18E 6FDA  B215 6A25 7174 A941 3B9F