On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 13:31:51 +0200, Dirk Heinrichs wrote:

> > If you don't want to use an initramfs, you don't need a
> > separate /boot
>
> However, there's some advantage in using one:
>
> 1) Can use a different fs than /.

Not a lot of point though, for a minimal / any general purpose FS will be
fine.

> 2) Can be shared by different installations/distributions.

True, but that can get messy. I've done it in the past, but now keep each
distro self-contained, apart from /home and swap.

> 3) Allows to encrypt (and/or use LVs for) everything else.

But then you need an initramfs. I'd say this was the strongest argument
for using an initramfs.

--
Neil Bothwick

Why marry a virgin? If she wasn't good enough for the rest of them, then
she isn't good enough for you.