>>> Perhaps you should update your python. Version 2.3 will be removed from
>>> portage and is currently hardmasked. That triggers the depency bump.
>>>

>> 'emerge -pv python' wants to install python-2.5.2-r5 in a new slot.
>> Should I unmerge python, emerge the new python, and run
>> python-updater?  Will portage work once python has been unmerged?  I'm
>> being cautious because this is a highly critical system for me.
>>
>> - Grant
>>

> NO, do not unemerge python befor installing the new one!!!
>
> It looks like your python is quite old. do you have version 2.4 installed?
> Then just do emerge -C =dev-lang/python-2.3.6-r2 and run python-updater
> afterwards. Otherwise try to emerge python 2.5 in the new slot, run the
> python-updater and remove version 2.3 afterwards.
> Nevertheless after updating  python-updater you should run " python-updater
> -ee -v -p" to see what should be still updated.

I've emerged python-2.5 in the new slot, but I can't upgrade from
python-updater-0.2 to python-updater-0.5 until I un-emerge python-2.3.
 Should I run python-updater-0.2 now, or un-emerge python-2.3, update
to python-updater-0.5, and run that?  If it depends on if I have
python-2.4 installed or not, how can I check on that?

- Grant