On Tuesday 22 July 2008, Sebastian Günther wrote:
> * Mick ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) [22.07.08 20:08]:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I suspect that something changed recently on the way that USB devices are
> > mounted.  I noticed that mounting a USB flash drive has stopped working
> > as follows:
>
> No, I think pmount behavior changed:
>
> it now honors entries in the fstab.

I do not have entries in my fstab of USB devices - dbus daemon and hald are
looking for removable devices by scanning the MoBo's buses (as I understand
it).

> > $ pmount /dev/sda
> > Error: device /dev/sda is not removable
> > ==================================
>
> Normally you should mount by mountpoint not device node.

Well, pmount would normally create a corresponding
mountpoint /media/<device_name>, if called upon as:

$ pmount /dev/<device_name>

> > However, clicking on the device in Konqueror under media:/ mounts it
> > happily under /media/disk.  Previously it would mount it under /media/sda
> > and the pmount command would not error out as shown above.
> > ==================================
>
> I think, there is an apropiate entry in the fstab, so pmount has not to
> create an new mountpoint.

No, there's no /dev/sda entry in my fstab:
==================================
$ mount /dev/sda
mount: can't find /dev/sda in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab
==================================

> > $ mount
> > [snip...]
> > /dev/sda on /media/disk type vfat
> > (rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime,flush,uid=1000,utf8,shortname=lower)
> > ==================================
> >
> > I also noticed that "shortname=lower" is set as the default, which is
> > annoying because the file/folder names are forced to display in lower
> > case.
>
> OK what's in /etc/fstab?

Nothing.

> > I am using dbus and hald with a Fluxbox WM so the default KDE behaviour
> > with the automounting pop up dialog does not work here (unless I have
> > launched the full KDE DE).
>
> Then you should think about ivman if you want automounter support. And
> Fluxbox rocks :-)

Yes, Fluxbox flies even on a PIII, ;-)

I am not bothered about automounting and probably would get on my nerves.  I
prefer how pmount used to work until recently.
--
Regards,
Mick