On Thu, 24 Jul 2008 03:55:14 +0300, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:

> I never needed to do 'make oldconfig'.  After emerging a new kernel, I
> do "make menuconfig" (or xconfig (Qt) or gconfig (Gtk)) and everything
> is already configured like the currently running kernel.

But your new kernel is different from the current one, with different
configuration options. oldconfig shows you the new options so you can
choose which to set, whereas your method sets everything to the default.

No, you don't strictly need to run make oldconfig, but it is advisable or
you will be enabling options you didn't even know existed.

--
Neil Bothwick

The Japanese call us lazy, but at least we cook our fish!