Daniel da Veiga wrote:
On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 1:12 PM, Nicolas Sebrecht
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Sebastian Günther a écrit:

If you want such functionality, use Debian or Ubuntu.
Or just use the good C*FLAGS and kernel options.

Nicolas is right, you can (at your own risk, of course) do a migration
like this, so "DON'T" is not really the only option, and changing
distros is NOT an option in most cases. Gentoo is perfectly capable of
that.

Change flags in make.conf for generic compatible ones, compile a new
kernel (I used genkernel for the migration, and compiled a specific
kernel for the new machine later), emerge -e world and transfer the
system (I used rsync, and had to deal with some network issues),
everything worked (after some fine tunning for the new hardware) for
me.

Yeah, but that way you're doing emerge -e world twice. One on the old system, and one on the new system (to optimize for the specific CPU again; -march=native). It's usually faster to install from scratch and only transfer your setting to the new system.