On Monday 11 August 2008 19:46:22 Dale wrote:
> Matthew R. Lee wrote:
> > Google earth upgraded over the weekend to version 4.2.205.5730. It
> > installed fine but it runs like shit. The rendering is so slow as to be
> > completely unusable. The previous version worked fine so I tried to go
> > back to it but it's gone, at least according to eix.
> > Anybody else having the same problem? Nobody's mentioned it on this list
> > or on the forums sofar.
> > Where do I start to find a solution?
> > Hardware: Compaq Presario V5000 laptop
> > Precessor: Celeron M 1.46GHz
> > RAM: 2GB
> > Graphics: Intel 945GM/GMS Express Integrated Graphics Controller
> >
> > Saludos
> > Matt
>
> Well, I'm not going to lock myself into a agreement but you can try
> starting here:  http://earth.google.com/download-earth.html  I would
> start close to the bottom where it says this:  "Download the previous
> version".  That may help.  It may go back a little farther or you may
> want to try moving to a even newer version where your "issue" may be fixed.
>
> Hope that helps.  Just wish I could get off this stinking dial-up so I
> can play with it too.  :-(
>
> Dale
>
> :-)  :-)

Just a follow up to this short thread. Sorry it's been a couple of weeks but
I've been away doing field work. The problem with the new version of google
earth is the atmosphere. Rendering thin air appears to be a resource hog. To
restore normal function, deselect Atmosphere in the view menu.
Saludos
Matt

--
Dr. Matthew R. Lee