080826 Grant Edwards wrote:
> On 2008-08-25, Philip Webb <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> I've decided to change my ISP from Sympatico to Uniserve
>> & need to check a couple of things re which others may have advice.
>> (1) the best option seems to be to buy a DSL modem: Uniserve offers
>>    Zoom x4 ADSL : <= 8 Mbit/s (up 1 Mbit/s )
>>    www.zoom.com/products/adsl_overview.html#5651 : "works w Linux"
>> My understanding is that the kernel talks to the ethernet chip
>> on the mobo, which in turn talks to the DSL modem, so there is
>> no problem of having a DSL modem which Linux cannot work with.
>> Am I correct ?
> The Zoom x4 DSL modem is an IP NAT/firewall/router.
> It contains a DHCP server, and Linux will work with it just fine.

Thanks & to the other respondents as well (big smile).

I'm being very careful to minimise downtime or gotchas,
as the Internet has become 3rd in life after breathing & beer ...

SUPPORT     ___________//___,   Philip Webb
ELECTRIC   /] [] [] [] [] []|   Cities Centre, University of Toronto
TRANSIT    `-O----------O---'   purslowatchassdotutorontodotca