Michael Sullivan wrote:
The problem is with dovecot.  (port 110 is the IMAP port, isn't it?  I
can't telnet to it.)
camille log # emerge -pv dovecot

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild   R   ] net-mail/dovecot-1.1.1-r1  USE="doc ipv6 kerberos ldap
mysql pam ssl -debug -managesieve -mbox -pop3d -postgres -sieve -sqlite3
-suid -vpopmail" 2,221 kB
Total: 1 package (1 reinstall), Size of downloads: 2,221 kB

To see what ports equals what, look at /etc/services which should exist on all *nix boxes and tracks nearly all the major ports.

pop is 110, imap 143, and imaps 993

I would make sure that dovecot is actually running, then make sure it's listening on ports you expect with sudo netstat -ptln , and then I'd post the logs from any transactions.

Troubleshooting mail servers without the relevant log entries is usually painful and frustrating.

kashani