Hi,
My computer at home is seriously old already. It has a K6 CPU, an motherboard
with VIA chips (chipset (?) VT82C598), and about 10G total hard disk space
(spread over 2 hd's - can possibly add a 3rd hd, too).
I've been using debian until now, BUT I'm less and less satisfied with that b/c
of all that extra baggage I've to use here. Maybe with a trimmed down gentoo
installation I can give the old
machine a new lease on life.
My main problem here is:
- I can't use the minimal install CDs. If I try to boot from them (using
gentoo-nofb just in case, also acpi=off and nodma), the machine promptly
reboots after loading the kernel. I have
sneaking suspicion that this is because the kernel is built for i686 and above.
Is this true?
If yes, ... well, is there anywhere still a mirror holding an older install CD?

Puzzled in Vienna,
Wolfgang