2008/9/18 Ricardo Saffi Marques <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> In my case, my cron runs "eix-sync" every night at 00h and I just did an
> "time emerge -DNuvp world"
> here, getting:
>
> Total: 129 packages (103 upgrades, 18 new, 8 reinstalls), Size of downloads:
> 187,761 kB
>
> real    0m21.074s
> user    0m18.913s
> sys     0m0.724s
>
> So I assume once a day (let's say, every night) is a good choice for syncing,
> right? :-)
> Never ever had a problem with slow dependency calculation on emerge.

As far as I know the rsync servers are syncing against the master
server(s) about every half an hour which obviously also updates the
timestamp. So what I described above only happens if you sync within a
shorter period. Running eix-sync every day shouldn't be a problem.

Syncing twice an hour is also considered bad practise because of the
heavy traffic involved. It just happens to me sometimes if I test
stuff and had to sync within a shorter period.

I just asked this because it could be possible that the script calls
eix-sync twice or after an emerge --sync which is not necessary or for
some other reason it is called twice within a too short period.

Regarding the fragmentation. I use ext3 and reiserfs for the portage
tree and did not recognize a significant slowdown. There is a slowdown
but not from 4 to 20 minutes. At least in my case.

Regards,

Daniel