I’m trying to set up Gentoo in a Virtualbox on my laptop (running Windows
Vista).  I’m using the 2007 liveCD image, although I’ve had this same
problem with the 2008 liveCD image.  The problem is that I can access web
pages with links, like www.gentoo.org, but I can’t ping anything.  Also,
when I tried to download the stage tarball in links, it just showed me a
console-graphical representation of the data in the tarball and would not
allow me to download the data as a tarball.  When I tried to use wget to
get the data, it gave me the same problem as ping did – that the location
did not exist.   What should I do?   The IP address of the laptop is
192.168.1.102 with the gw at 192.168.1.1, but ifconfig claims the laptop
is using inet address 10.0.2.15, yet still somehow it can get to
www.gentoo.org.  What should I do?