On 23 Sep 2008, at 16:21, Steve wrote:

... there are a number of 'key entities' - for example, Oil Companies; Oil Executives; Oil Fields; Oil Consultancies - etc. Hence, I know that I will be interested to develop a coherent profile of all the Oil Companies in a similar format. If I were to establish the market capitalisation for one oil company, I'd want to make it clear that this information is 'unknown' for other companies rather than simply not mention it. Similarly, for CEO; tax status - etc. When it comes to the directors, perhaps I want to establish "who's who" style information on them... where I'd collect their educational backgrounds; URLs for appearances in the press etc.
Is there any existing software that does this sort of thing? A wiki goes part-way, but I'd want to be able to establish 'type' for pages... so that, for example, every record of a company has standard fields into which various statistics can be filled-in... and where URLs to external data is prompted...

To some extent a wiki can do a fair bit of what you ask.

On Wikipedia, for instance, books may use the "Book" Infobox construct to state author, title, ISBN number, publisher & so on:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Time_Traveller%27s_Wife
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:Infobox_Book

You can also categorise pages - someone simply added "[[Category:Distributions]]" at the foot of http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/FreeBSD and now it appears on the http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Category:Distributions page.

The problem is that a wiki isn't a database, so I guess it depends how flexible you want your data to be. I wouldn't be surprised if there are database packages out there which allow you to store multiple different types of information (company-type alongside CEO-type alongside old-field-type), perhaps even link them and also add flexible notes fields. I think I've read articles in the past about such "flexible databases" - I think the author of Lotus Notes (or was it 123?) has worked on one or proposed one or something. On the other hand they may not handle versioning as well as a wiki, or have other shortcomings. You may find that a wiki, alongside a good web-search engine installed on the same server, does what you need.

Stroller.