On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 7:22 AM, Hal Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> So, do any of you have newer (HD series) AMD/ATi graphics cards?
> What drivers (AMD closed source, or open source) are you using?
> Are they stable?
> How is the performance?
> Any noise issues with your card when it's idle? Under load?

I've been following this a little although I do have an nVidia card. You
should check out Phoronix:

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=category&item=Display%20Drivers

They are probably the top followers of Linux display drivers that I know of.
But off the top of my head I'd say that the ATI Catalyst drivers (closed
source) are really getting pretty good now and almost on par with their
windows equivalent.
The RadeonHD (open source) drivers are also getting pretty good, although it
depends on the chipset you're using (some have better support than others),
and if you're not doing cutting edge gaming, they should perform fine for
you.