On Thursday 02 October 2008, Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Thu, 2 Oct 2008 17:06:48 +0200, Erik Hahn wrote:
> > > BTW: I prefer KDE, if this is relevant.
> >
> > There's network-manager, it uses it's own config files, though.
>
> Knetworkmanager takes care of the config, using KDE's wallet to store
> WEP/WPA passwords. However, I've recently started using wicd instead of
> knetworkmanager. For one thing, it automatically reconnects when you lose
> and regain the signal to your AP. Also, because the connection is handled
> by the daemon and only controlled by the GUI, the wireless connection is
> running by the time the desktop loads.

I have never (knowingly) used networkmanager to know what it offers, but I
have used kwifimanager, or if you use wpa_supplicant you could use wpa_gui.
I have found that wpa_supplicant will scan and re-attach automatically as you
move in-out of range.  My office has a mesh of APs and as you walk around you
drop and reconnect transparently.

--
Regards,
Mick