On Thu, 2 Oct 2008, �Q� wrote:

<snip>

You didn't need this.  It's for third-party e-builds, but you aren't
using a third party e-build.  The zip file came from Sun, but the
ebuild is in the Gentoo portage tree.

Ebuilds are just scripts which portage uses to build the packages.  In
this case, the ebuild isn't allowed to download the files it needs
automagically, but it's still a Gentoo ebuild, not a third-party one.

I've snipped the rest of what you wrote about overlays, &c., but it
didn't look like anything was wrong, just unnecessary for what you want
to do.  For more info about overlays, see
<http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/overlays/userguide.xml>.

Thanks for the additional info.  Good to know!

Rather than clutter the list with a lot of thanks, let me just say thanks to all for any future replies written before knowing that I went ahead and took the plunge and it worked.

Bo Grimes