On Sunday 26 October 2008 11:33:11 Dirk Heinrichs wrote:
> Am Sonntag, 26. Oktober 2008 11:27:49 schrieb Erik Hahn:
> > The only thing paludis was necessary for was the kde 4 overlay.
>
> Hmm, I thought this has already been identified as fairy tale some weeks
> ago.

For those who wonder what this is all about, there were not one, but two,
development overlays for kde4. One used nifty new features in paludis to test
out nifty new features for building overlays and apparently the developers
were impressed with the nifty new results. IIRC it was Bo that said so
publicly, he was a very frequent poster here till a few months ago.

The other overlay used the old traditional features in portage.

I've run almost every version of kde-4, and I've never used paludis. I believe
those nifty new features (sets) have been incorporated into portage so now
everyone can benefit.

Bottom line: Dirk is right. You don't *need* paludis. You use if if you *want*
it.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com