Am Friday 31 October 2008 10:54:23 schrieb Matthias Bethke:
> Hi Albert,
>
> on Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 03:11:04PM -0400, you wrote:
> > ... but Jorge is right.  This is easily picked up by a lint tool... and
> > good python programmers use them ;-).  Some python-aware editors even
> > have this functionality built in.
>
> Whow...I've been out of Python long enough to totally forget that you
> *needed* to do this. In Perl, the "use strict" you find at the top of
> every well-written script does it at compile time.

<sarcasm>
Yeah, let's continue to bash Python, which is such a badly broken language
nobody wants to use it productively, because other languages offer so much
better functionality to test for programmer error at compile time. Perl is a
brilliant example to mention in this context.
</sarcasm>

Seriously: dynamic typing is a blessing, (only!) when combined with strict
typing (where Perl doesn't [really] have the latter, even when use strict is
in effect). Having to declare variables before use mostly is irrelevant (I'm
not talking about _defining_ variables before use), because it's no common
source of bugs.

At least that's my 5 cents.

--
Heiko Wundram
hackerkey://v4sw7CHJLSUY$hw5ln5pr7FOP$ck2ma9u7FL$w3DVWXm0l7GL$i65e6t3EMRSXb7ADORen5a26s5MSr2p-6.62/-6.56g5AORZ