On Mon, 3 Nov 2008 08:51:01 +0100
Dirk Heinrichs wrote:

> Am Freitag 31 Oktober 2008 15:41:00 schrieb ext Marko Kocić:
>
> > The error message while booting is like this:
> >
> > Using IPI shortcut mode
> > BIOS EDD facility v 0.16 2004-Jul-25 1 devices found
> > VFS: Cannot open root device "307" on unknown-block(3,7)
> > Please append a correct "root=" boot option; here are the available
> > partitions:
> > Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-
> > block(3,7)
> >

> > Note that in my lilo.conf I have root=/dev/hda7 line for all
> > kernels.
>
> Are you sure that all drivers (chipset, disc) needed for booting are
> compiled into the kernel? Please post your .config + lspci output.
>
> Bye...
>
>       Dirk

Have you tried root=/dev/sda7, i.e. "s" rather than "h", in lilo?  My
understanding is that disk driver changes in the kernel have resulted
in the replacement of IDE subsystem drivers with a "universal" (SCSI
based) subsystem.  A side effect of this is device name changes,
notably /dev/hdX to /dev/sdX.  I'm not sure that this is 100% accurate
because I don't track kernel changes as closely as some folks.

HTH,

David