On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 9:18 AM, Lorenzu Hewa, Gayan Neomal
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I Used the Live CD ... It does contain few packages like X11,xfce4, gdm
> , some network utils,vim . But I need to get other packages which I
> need. lIke Gcj , fluxbox , mpg321 ...
>
> Even though it has only few packages installed it consumes a lot of disk
> space... that another problem im having.
>
> Thanks & Regards,
>
> Gayan Lorenzu Hewa | Sub Officer | Wholesale Banking Corporate Service
> Center | Standard Chartered Bank
> (: 0115-397335): 0773-652003 6: 0115-397337 *:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I used to run an offline gentoo setup. You can use "emerge -upvf
<package-name(s)>" to get a list of files you need to obtain. Pipe the
output of that to some file, do some grep/sed to remove duplicates and
remove the multiple urls.

Write a script to fetch all the files in your file list. It can be as
simple as "for file in `cat filelist` do wget $URL/$file; done;" When
you get to an internet connection, run the script to fetch all the
files.

Copy the files you just downloaded to /usr/portage/dist and emerge the
package normally.

Here is a link to a project I used before:
http://www.tlug.org.za/wiki/index.php/Ogentools. I don't know if it's
still active?

The /usr/portage/distfiles directory can very quickly grow, clean it
up every now and then. Check the /var folder. When aborting ebuilds
with ctrl-c some files are left behind in /var/tmp/portage/.

Lastly I'd like to say, I feel for you, running gentoo offline can
sometimes be a painful process.

Regards
Dirk