>>> Could you post the output of lspci, please? I have stability
>>> problems with
>>> madwifi on my system, so if you've got the same wlan chipset
>>> I would give it a try also (with 2.6.27, then).
>>
>> 03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications, Inc. AR5212 802.11abg
>> NIC (rev 01)
>
> I have the same one.
>
>> FWIW I had no stability issues with madwifi-ng 0.9.4 with wpa_supplicant
>> 0.5.7 with 2.6.25-gentoo-r7, and IIRC that was with only the old 80211 stuff
>> turned on in the kernel. (??IEEE80211 instead of MAC80211??)
>
> Mine works great except it freezes the whole system when starting ath0
> in master mode if I have SMP enabled in my kernel:
>
> http://madwifi.org/ticket/1903
>
> - Grant

In case anyone else runs into this with madwifi-ng, it's fixed with
the latest madwifi-ng-svn ebuild in the je_fro overlay.  ath5k doesn't
support master mode yet in 2.6.27 (although there is a patch floating
around) and madwifi-old is completely unsupported (sandbox violations,
should be removed from portage).

- Grant