Neil Bothwick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> So boot your existing Gentoo setup as usual, then follow the handbook to
> install on the new disk. You do not have to boot from a live CD to
> install Gentoo, and suitable working Linux environment will do the job,
> and an existing Gentoo installation is more than suitable.

There still seems to be some misunderstanding.

I want to build up a fresh install somewhere besides my existing
desktop OS (gentoo).  Leave the existing setup alone for now.

Get the fresh install up to speed so it is a fresh and new
approximation of my desktop OS.

And finally overwrite the desktop OS with the newly built one.
It sounds like what you are describing is just a new install using an
exiting gentoo os instead of install disk.

But the result would be a new install with nothing setup... on the
desktop which is not what I want.